Saturday 18 December 2010

There's Snow Business Like Snow Business...


Car's stuck in the drive, snow's still falling, and I can't get to work...what a pity ;)

With the snow coming down thick, winter settling in and the temperature continuously taking a nose-dive, I've noticed a lot of 'What to do...' list-type doo-das popping up on google and blog circles and what have you. Now, I'm like a child when it comes to snow. By this, I mean I will happily play in it for about five minutes but as soon as anyone even gives me a look that says they're thinking of throwing a snowball I run inside crying like a five-year-old... However, purely out of curiosity, I had a little peak at a few of these lists - usually very imaginatively called '10 things to do in snow...' or '12 things to do in snow...' or, in one disastrously badly-written instance, '47 things to do in snow...' - you get the picture, I'm sure. Now, whilst stretching these suggestions as thinly as possible, I couldn't fail to notice that every idea pretty much boils down to one of the following:
  • Write things in it.
  • Use it violently.
  • Build things out of it.
  • Hide in it.
  • Find fun and dangerous ways to travel on or through it.
I can say, without reasonable doubt being cast, that all of these, if done for a long enough period of time, will end one of two ways; either you'll become too cold and you'll go inside or you'll fall over, become to cold, and go inside. If we disregard the above, the absurd and the insane - such as leaving water balloons out overnight to freeze before using them as dodge-balls in a field where the snow is too deep for children to run away [people are scary on the internet] - then we are left with just one category of things which can be done for entertainment when it snows:
  • Have fun indoors, doing something warm, whilst snow, incidentally, just happens to be falling outside.
So remember, as beautiful as it is, it's also cold, wet, treacherous and by February, if my own prediction proves right, will be a constant feature on the news as Britain will have run out of salt by then...again... Follow my lead - do something productive with your day, curl up with a cup of coffee, then brave the cold and the small screaming children to get to the pub. Just like any other day, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment